Boost your immune system this fall
There are many mixed feelings out there about the return to school and I empathize and understand the fears around the transmission of the COVID-19 virus.
I wanted to provide some recommendations on things that you and your family can do to best prepare your immune systems for any sort of viral exposure this fall.
1) Vitamin C – this can be used daily to boost your immune system. Therapeutic dose for immune system is 3,000mg – 5,000mg/day. This wonderful vitamin also helps with tissue repair and is a strong anti-oxidant, great choice for your at-home-pharmacy!
2) Echinacea – this potent herb boosts the immune system when it is under-functioning. Use this when you feel a cold coming on, are actively sick or want a boost. Dose is dependent on the specific product but about 1ml of tincture four times per day is what I recommend. I would also suggest doing two weeks on, then seven days off and then repeating again.
3) Oil of Oregano – this yucky tasting virus fighting herb is great to keep the immune system high. Use as directed on bottle (or how much you can tolerate the taste!). This is great for viruses that you can’t seem to kick. Dose similarly to Echinacea – two weeks on, one week off and then repeat.
4) Cor Defence – this product is an immune system multi. It has Baker’s Yeast, Elderberry, Vitamin C, Vitamin D and Zinc. All boost your immune system and shortens the length of any infections. I have started taking this daily to prep for September.
5) Probiotics – the best of the best in my opinion! I recommend around 25-50 billion CFU to keep immune system in top shape. Probiotics increase the beneficial bacteria in your system to be able to fight the bad bacteria trying to take over!
1) HMF Fit for School or HMF Child + Multi are my two go-to vitamins for my kids. They are mid-range probiotic support plus necessary vitamins to keep their immune systems strong.
2) Vitamin D – this super vitamin is proving to be beneficial at lessening severity of viruses (even COVID-19). Dose for kids is around 1,000IU/day.
3) Vita-Kids Immune – This is by Douglas Labs and is a great addition to the two suggestions above. It provides important immune-supportive nutrients, such as beta-carotene and zinc. It also includes Japanese honeysuckle, blueberry and European elder, used in Herbal Medicine to help relieve symptoms of colds and flus.
I am wishing you all a happy and hopefully stress-free transition back to school with your families.
In good health,
Kate Hunter is a Naturopathic Doctor who practices in Creemore, and is the owner of The Creemore Apothecary wellness boutique.