Burning garbage, furniture results in charges for Clearview residents

 In News

On Monday, Jan. 29, fire crews responded to a reported structure fire on Highway 26 east of Stayner at about 10:30 p.m. Upon investigation, it turned out to be a large debris fire.

Fire Chief Colin Shewell said charges would likely be laid because the proper permit wasn’t secured and those types of fires are not permitted at night. Four stations responded to the call.

Shewell said the charge would likely be a minimum $450, plus up to $450 per apparatus dispatched to incident.

The fire department received “another strange burn complaint” Wednesday night. Firefighters were called to a residence in Stayner to find a piece of furniture burning on top of a chimnea, with the flame reaching six feet. The homeowner was slapped with a $175 charge.

Shewell would like to remind people that garbage is never permitted to be burned in Clearview Township.

Clearview firefighters were also called to the scene of a tractor fire inside barn north of Creemore before 8 p.m. on Jan. 30.

Deputy Fire Chief Roree Payment said having a fire extinguisher handy prevented a barn fire.

Recent Posts

Leave a Comment

X