Scarrow family tools shown at Creemore Log Cabin
When George Scarrow left Creemore in 1888 to venture west, he took with him a number of carpentry tools that had belonged to his father.
At age 17, he moved to Minto, Manitoba to become a builder, just like dad.
George is son of James and Abigail Scarrow, the first known residents of the Creemore Log Cabin.
When descendants of George Scarrow recently packed up to make a move to Ontario, they contacted log cabin volunteers to see if they wanted the tools. They enlisted the help of Darryl Wines, collections technician at the Simcoe County Museum and instructor of Museum and Gallery studies at Georgian College, who has restored more than a dozen tools – planers, saws and gauges – and created display cases for them, with the help of his students.
The cabin is thought to be the last built and only surviving log house in the village. Constructed in the early 1870s, it stood for almost 140 years at the southeast corner of George and Mary streets.
The Scarrows rented it from the late 1870s and lived there with their 10 surviving children. Their eldest son Alma Scarrow was also a builder and constructed some of the finest homes in Creemore, including some of those along Mill Street.
The tools will go on display at Creemore Log Cabin, during the Creemore Vintage Festival on Saturday, May 26, from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.