A healthy back-to-school
With the return of the school year, it is no surprise that individuals and families are looking for more natural alternatives that support the body and improve the overall integrity of the immune system.
It is especially important to keep our kids healthy this year so that we can prevent further missed school and work days that the last two years have given us all.
Below are some naturopathic treatments to implement this school season to keep your immune system strong and capable to fight viruses or bacteria that you may come in contact with:
1) Plenty of fluids and rest – If your body is feeling run down, it is telling you to take a break and rest. Your water intake should be about two litres per day and kids should be 500 ml to 1.5 litres, depending on physical activity
2) A daily multivitamin and probiotic – When the body is deficient in microminerals and nutrients it is more susceptible to infections. I give my kids the HMF Child + Multi which is both a full spectrum multi and probiotic for a healthy microbiome.
3) At the signs of a cold or flu, choose these immune boosters to strengthen the immune fighting capacity: • Echinacea purpurea – This herb helps keep the immune system working strongly when sick. It is best in tincture form and can be used for both kids and adults.
• Astragalus – This herb helps boost a run down and underactive immune system, to be used at the first signs of a cold or flu. Do not take if you are actively sick.
• Vitamin C – when sick it can be taken in dosages as high as 5,000 mg depending on bowel tolerance. This vitamin helps kill infectious agents circulating in the body. Kids are safe to take up to 1,000 mg per day.
• Zinc – This mineral helps keep the immune system strong and ready to fight infections. It can be taken in capsule form, as a lozenge or a as a chewable which is easy for kids to take. Zinc helps to decrease cold and flu symptoms.
4) Homeopathic cold and flu alternatives such as Mucococcinum, Influenzinum, Belladonna, Mercurius and Arsenucum. These remedies can help decrease the symptoms of colds and flues and also help the body mount an antibody response to infections. Consult your Naturopath or Homeopath to choose the best remedies for you and your family.
This school season take care of yourself and remember that prevention is always the best medicine.
Kate Hunter is a naturopathic doctor and owner of The Creemore Apothecary.