Ontario Public Library Week begins Oct. 17
October 17-23 is Ontario Public Library Week! This year’s theme is One Card, One Million Possibilities and we here at the Clearview Public Library can certainly offer one million possibilities of education, enrichment and entertainment to you. Choose your adventure in print, virtual or real time materials.
Here are just five possibilities highlighting interesting things to do compliments of your library over the next week:
1. This Saturday, Oct. 16 is our fourth edition of our Culture Days participation. Limited free tour passes (www.avroarrow203.com) are available in real time for our presentation of From Zero to Mach 2 – Hangar Time with a Tiger Moth (1943) + An Avro Arrow (1957). Extra special guests with interactive displays include the Base Borden Military Museum, the Stayner Heritage Society, the Wasaga Beach Historical Advisory Committee and Lee Anning. Covid safety protocols are in place.
2. The Simcoe Author Talk Series continues with another presentation in cyberspace on Wednesday, Oct. 21. Please join us to talk with Sonya Lalli as she discusses her novel Serena Singh Flips the Script at 7 p.m. Please register on our event page at www.clearview.library.on.ca .
3. The 12th annual Georgian Bay Reads takes place virtually at 7 p.m. on Saturday, Oct. 23. We will be filming this lively literary debate from the new Meaford Public Library. This book battle features our very own Keiran Rupke who will be defending Heart Berries by Terese Marie Mailhot. General admission to this Culture Days Event is also free and available at www.eventbrite.com/e/georgian-bay-reads-2021-tickets .
4. Our children and teen librarians have been very busy with creating fantastic interactive kids and youth kits for construction in your home. YouTube instructional videos will be available by email and on social media. Registration is also available on our event page.
5. We wind up the month with a Spooktacular Booktacular Book Sale at the new Stayner Branch located now at the Stayner Community Arena Hub at 269 Regina Street. This pre-Christmas sale will take place on Saturday, Oct. 30 from 10 p.m. to 4 p.m. Fill a box or bag (BYOB) of printed treasure for only $2. Donations of gently loved books, movies and CDs will be accepted at this time.
Our tagline here at the library is Great Stories Around Here! Be it printed material or the very latest in internet access, we can offer you all of this for One Card, One Million Possibilities.
Visit your local library branch in Creemore, New Lowell or Stayner or go to www.clearview.library.on.ca.
Michele McKenzie is deputy CEO of Clearview Public Library.